Programs for the 2019/2020 Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program (HSAFP) at the moment are being approved.
President Derek Bok established the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program (HSAFP) in 1979 to handle the desires of South Africans who had been denied get right of entry to to complicated training by way of the apartheid gadget. This program was once established, and remains to be meant, for mid-career execs educationally deprived by way of previous regulations and useful resource allocations in South Africa. Beneath the present presidency of Drew Gilpin Faust, the HSAFP seeks to increase its achieve to establishments and organizations throughout South Africa in a endured effort to attract the broadest imaginable vary of applicants for this system. As well as, the College – reflecting the present South African charter – has expanded its applicant pool to increase to all South Africans, without reference to ethnicity or race.
- The HSAFP was once conceived in large part to supply instructional enrichment for women and men in mid-career, this is, people in more than a few occupations who’ve proven really extensive ability of their selected fields and management and are anticipated to take pleasure in complicated coaching. Thus applicants who’ve simply finished, or who’ve now not but finished, a primary stage aren’t decided on except this stage has been pursued at the same time as with, or next to, revel in within the administrative center.
- Fellows most often vary in age from 30 to 45 years.
- Fellows should be South African voters.
- Candidates must decide smartly prematurely whether or not, if awarded a fellowship, they may be able to be granted depart by way of their employers for Harvard’s educational yr.
- They must in most cases plan to be in place of dwelling at Harvard from September till June. On the other hand, some techniques require fellows to start place of dwelling on July 1st. No candidate must settle for an interview except confident that such depart will probably be granted.
- The Heart does now not need to assign fellowships to any person who due to this fact reveals it unimaginable to make use of the chance.
- The fellowship supplies for fee of all tuition for the whole duration of enrollment at Harvard.
- The fellowship additionally finances round-trip airfare between the guy’s house and Boston.
- A per 30 days stipend is equipped to fellows, excluding the ones enrolled within the Govt Schooling Methods, to hide the price of housing and different residing costs.
- Housing is most often in college graduate dormitories. Please be aware that housing prices within the Boston/Cambridge house are extraordinarily top, and the stipend handiest covers naked must haves.
- The per 30 days stipend should even be used to pay different costs reminiscent of scientific and dental insurance coverage, medication, taxes, meals, iciness clothes, books and provides.
- Fellows are held individually liable for the fee of all expenses instead of tuition charges and airfare.
- Fellows must additionally bear in mind that their stipends can have an important quantity of taxes taken out sooner than they obtain the finances.
2019-2020 APPLICATION TIMELINE
|January 1, 2018||HSAFP software opens|
|April four, 2018||HSAFP packages DUE (at 11:59pm EST)|
|Might 2 – 17, 2018||Programs reviewed by way of program workforce|
|Early June 2018||Candidates notified if they have got been decided on for an interview|
|July 11-15, 2018 (matter to switch)||Anticipated timing for interviews in South Africa|
|August 2018||Interviewed applicants are notified if they have got been decided on as a Harvard South Africa Fellow finalist|
|September 2018 – December 2018||Decided on finalists follow immediately to the Harvard program they’re interested by attending|
|January 2019 – April 2019||Applicants usually pay attention about their admissions resolution from the Harvard College to which they carried out|
|Starting July – August 2019||Maximum Harvard South Africa Fellows’ educational techniques at Harvard start|
|Might 2020||Fellows at Harvard for one-year techniques whole their educational yr on the College|